We've all been there. You've received a call out of the blue and someone – a friend, neighbour or the in-laws are on their way round. You look round and it looks like a bomb's hit the place. You can't let them see it in this state – and so the mad dash to clean as much as you can and as fast as you can begins.
But stop. What if there's a better way? Wouldn't it be great if you were always in a position not to panic when you were getting unexpected visitors? Well, there is.
It's called implementing a weekly cleaning schedule and it has the power to help reduce the marathon cleaning days and the frantic quick pick-ups. If you give yourself just 20 minutes a day to really focus on a room or task, it can make a huge difference.
We teamed up with Fix to create easy-to-follow tips and hacks for getting and keeping your house nice and clean.
And here it is – the hassle-free weekly cleaning schedule…
Sounds doable, right? There will always be the inevitable handful of scattered toys but remember we are busy living our lives and making memories.
- Shut all the doors of the rooms that you won't be going in.
- Spray wood polish in the hallway or near the front door. Our sense of smell is one of the strongest and visitors will associate cleaning sprays or wood polish with a clean and tidy environment.
- Pick up any items on the floor of the room you'll be taking visitors and clear the worktops or desk. If there's no time, grab a bin bag and stick everything inside it and hide away.
- Do a quick sweep or vacuum of the floor of the room you'll be sitting in.
- Put on a glove, spray it with polish or surface cleaner and run your hand along any surfaces that you see at eye level when standing and sitting (in the room that you'll be in)
5. Run a brush through your hair and smile serenely as you open the door!
If you've literally got two minutes to spare and no time to do any of the above, then grab everything off the floor and clear the surfaces by putting it all in a bag and out of the way. Then put the TV on if you can; people will be so distracted by the TV they won't have time to notice any mess!
Do you have any top cleaning tips?
A Pin For Your Life Hacks Board