Blue Monday is the name given to a day in January (usually the third Monday of the month) which is claimed to be the most depressing day of the year.
Interestingly, the concept was first coined in 2005 as part of a press release from Sky Travel holiday company – obviously to encourage would-be holidaymakers to escape the miserable weather and have a holiday to look forward to!
But if a two-week holiday in the Caribbean is not an option for you just yet, then here are some sure-fire ways to get you through Blue Monday – or in fact, any Monday if you have the Sunday Blues….
How To Have A GREAT Blue Monday Day (at work or home)
- Grab a friend and go for an hour’s walk in your lunch break– you’ll kill two birds with one stone – a catch up with a friend and exercise!
- Take a box of donuts or cookies into the office to have a tea party during your break – you’ll lift everyone’s mood including your own and you’ll be appreciated!
- Play some of your favourite songs out loud (if you’re alone) or on your headphones if in company – and dance around the house.
- Do a spot of crafting – there’s something quite therapeutic about making something from scratch.
- Play a prank on a colleague – sellotape over their phone’s mouthpiece or lowering their chair every time they leave their desk are good ones to start (and yes – I do this regularly for a laugh).
- Do the weekly shop with at least two dishes that you’d like to cook in mind. Cook double and freeze half for when you can’t be bothered to cook.
- Treat yourself to a beauty/spa treatment.
- Treat yourself even more by dropping off your ironing, ready to pick up later.
- Make a clay model of your boss and get the pins ready.
- Brainstorm destinations you’d like to visit this year – have a think about getting away for short breaks in the UK as well as