“I’m not made of money!” is the battle cry of the nation’s dads, topping a poll of the UK’s most common ‘Dadisms.’
Researchers have unveiled the top 30 sayings uttered by Dad’s across the nation, including classics such as “Waste not, want not” and “Two wrongs don’t make a right”.
Phrases such as “I’m not sleeping, I’m just resting my eyes”, “When I was your age…” and “Whatever you do, don’t tell your mother” also bring back fond memories of Dad. And, as the kids get a bit older, we might hear snippets of “You aren’t going out wearing that!” and “Turn off the lights, do you think I am made of money?”
A spokesperson for FOX’s American Dad!, who conducted the study of 2,000 adults, said: “Many of us remember our dads for the funny little sayings they have repeated throughout our childhood.
“These phrases are now ones we find saying ourselves to our own children, which just demonstrates the influence our dads have on our lives and our upbringing.”
Fathers nationwide like to be heard, and can often be found saying “What part of NO don’t you understand?” (I’m guilty of this one myself), “Am I talking to a brick wall” and “I’m not just talking to hear my own voice”.
The one I frequently hear in our household: “Go and ask your mum!”
TOP 30 ‘DADISMS’
- I’m not made of money!
- I’m not sleeping; I’m just resting my eyes.
- Whatever you do, don’t tell your mother!
- When I was your age…
- Go and ask your mother!
- Turn off those lights. Do you think I am made of money?
- They don’t make them like they used to.
- Waste not, want not.
- What part of NO don’t you understand?
- You’ll realise the value of money once you start earning.
- What do you think I am… a bank?
- Don’t forget to check your oil.
- What did I just tell you?
- I’ll turn this car around!
- You’re only young once.
- Am I talking to a brick wall?
- Two wrongs do not make a right.
- You’re not going out dressed like that.
- I don’t care what other people are doing! I’m not everybody else’s father!
- Who said life was supposed to be fair?
- Act your age!
- Don’t use that tone with me!
- What do you think this is, your birthday?
- A little pain never hurt anybody.
- I’m not just talking to hear my own voice!
- The early bird gets the worm. Rise and shine!
- My father used to tell me…
- Shake it off. It’s only pain.
- You could drive a wooden man nuts!
- Enough is enough!
What other dadisms have you heard in your house?