So it was mine and Mr Wright’s 10th wedding anniversary just recently. As luck would have it, on the same date as our special day I was invited on a VIP sailing of Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas – and I could bring a friend! How romantic to be sharing our special day on the world’s biggest ship – I couldn’t refuse.
But I had to make our anniversary special in my own little way and, as the traditional present for a 10th anniversary is tin, I thought it only apt to put together a ‘love tin’ fit for my VIP.
So I picked one up and filled it with lots of nice things that relate to Mr Wright – and for a 10th anniversary, it didn’t cost the earth…
So as a thrifty anniversary present here’s what we have….
The tin itself! I popped into TKMaxx and picked up this tin – it was the only one they had that seemed appropriate but it had a dent in it.
– Also from TKMaxx I picked up another small tin with the words ‘Thank you from the bottom of my heart’. The tin actually contains ‘thank you’ cards which I won’t include – but this tin will house a cute personal gift – details of which are next… Price: £3.00
– A small picture frame to house a cute picture of the two of us. Altogether now… ‘Ahhhh…’ Price: £3.99 (reduced from £25!) from TKMaxx
– A peanut butter flavour hot drink sachet from Sainsburys. Mr Wright loves peanut butter so I thought he’d like this. Price: 35p
A packet of tissues – a bit random I know but he’s always blowing his nose which I tease him about – and he’s always asking me for tissues. Also, I have a huge surprise for him and he might need the tissues if he gets emotional (hardly likely but it would be nice to witness!)
Also purchased was a packet of love heart sweets – I love sweets and I’m hoping Mr Wright will share them with me! I also picked from and a pen from Hema because Mr Wright is a teacher and a frequent user of red-nibbed pens.
With this pen he has red, blue, green and black – all in one! Prices: 0p for the tissues (I found them at home), 25p for the love hearts and £1 for the ballpoint pen from Wilko.
– Two packets of seeds. Mr Wright is a huge fan of our garden and is currently trying to transform it into something more aesthetically pleasing. I thought he’d appreciate these seeds. Price: 2 for £1 from Tiger
– a Ladybird book ‘the husband’ as I thought he should be reminded of his marital duties! Price: £6.99 from Mankind
– A pack of sunflower seeds in a cute little planter container. Again, going with the garden theme but I quite liked the miniature pot myself! Price: £2 from Hema
– Green tea lemon because he has recently started experimenting with sampling different herbal teas and I think he’d like this one. Price: £1 from Hema.
– Lip balm. Unlike me Mr Wright has got lovely full lips but they often get dry – especially as he does a lot of work (as you now know) in the garden. He’s always asking me for my lip balm so now he has his own. Price: £1 from Hema.
– A romantic chocolate heart with a personalised message. Okay, so I’m not going to get this in the tin but I can give it to him separately and pretend that’s the only thing I got him! Price: £8 for one but I bought another one for my son’s birthday in a week and you can get 2 for £10, reducing the price to £5 – from Thorntons.
Last but certainly not least…. I will be giving Mr Wright his special tin on the cruise – probably in our stateroom before we head to dinner. But there’s one huge, special gift in there for him which he’ll find at the bottom.
On a sheet of paper I will have 4 pictures which spell out a word. Can you guess what it spells? spoiler alert: answer below!!
A picture of a compass pointing south, a picture of the back of a ship, a picture of Rick Ashley and the letter ‘A’.
Answer: South Africa.
That’s right – at the bottom of the time will be tickets to an all-inclusive 10 night holiday to South Africa for Mr Wright, me and the kids this summer. All paid for courtesy of my MasterCard credit card, although I have to say, I got a great deal.
We’ll be going on safari, visiting a rural town, hanging out in Durban and enjoying the sights of KwaZulu-Natal!
So, what happened?…
His reaction: I’m now back from the trip (it was A-MAZE-ING) and I ended up presenting Mr Wright with the tin before we set off, as he decided to present me with a tin as well – with some special words and the date we got married.
However, I waited until our first night before getting him to open his special envelope with news of the holiday…
I tried to make him guess what was spelt out in pictures..but he kept saying ‘north’ and ‘compass’.
I had to give him some pointers – asking him which way the compass was pointing and what the back of a ship was called. And then he twigged, asking if we were going to South Africa.
He was surprised and I think a bit shocked. And then he told me for ‘aft’ I should have used a picture of Ben Affleck – men!!
So what did you think about my special tin box and my big surprise? It would be great to hear how others have come up with different ways of surprising family & friends…